SOS International (December 2017-Present).
• Interpret simultaneously in master calendar hearings in immigration court.
• Interpret consecutively in individual merits hearings in immigration court.
Professional Linguistics. Georgia (August 2017-April 2021).
• Interpret between Spanish and English in civil and criminal hearings at state and municipal levels.
• Interpret at depositions.
United States District Court, Middle District of Georgia. Macon, Georgia (July 2010-Present, occasionally). Interpreter and Translator.
• Interpret between Spanish and English in pretrial services as needed.
• Translated from English to Spanish a letter from a United States District Judge to a Mexican judge.
Other Medical and Legal Interpretation. Georgia (February 2015-Present, occasionally).
• Interpret medical appointments and legal hearings through such agencies as Culturally Yours Interpreting, MVP Translations, and International Translation Services, Inc.
Certified Languages International. Work from home (September 2013-March 2019). Spanish Interpreter.
• Interpreted customer service telephone calls.
• Interpreted a wide variety of conversations, including medical, legal, and financial.
Federal Defenders of the Middle District of Georgia, Inc. Macon, Georgia (September 2014-Oct 2018). Interpreter.
• Interpreted conversations between defense attorneys and defendants in jail.
Federal Defender Program, Inc. Atlanta, Georgia (October 2015-January 2016). Interpreter.
• Interpreted between defendants and their attorneys in the Northern District of Georgia.
My translation from English to Spanish of Felipe Benítez Reyes’ book of poems, Vidas improbables (published by the Pulitzer-prize winning press BOA Editions, Ltd. in July of 2006 under the title Probable Lives) is the most challenging and significant literary work that I have completed. Vidas improbables was first published in 1995 and won Spain’s National Book Award and National Critics’ Award. The scholar Itzíar López Guil summarizes the book in the following way: “This collection of poems, in which a fictitious narrator presents the biographies and work of various character-poets, constitutes one of the most valuable contributions of the poetry of the postmodern era, characterized, among other things, by frequent fictionalization of the speaker of the poem. ” A translation from the book was selected for National Poetry Month’s A Poem a Day Series by the Academy of American Poets and National Public Radio Digital Media in 2006. A sample poem from Probable Lives can be viewed at the following link: https://www.boaeditions.org/products/probable-lives.